Writing Program for Kids Fills in Massive Gaps in Writing Skills
The AEM online writing program for kids bridges the huge gaps in children's writing skills left by school, and teaches your child everything they need to know to be successful in writing.
We take the time to teach what school doesn't: the fundamentals of writing. Help your child get FAR ahead of their classmates and peers, and protect your investment in their education and future.
Additional Areas of Program Focus
Research, Brainstorming, Organizing
We developed the ABCDE approach to writing, which breaks down writing assignments into easy steps that students complete one at a time. Big assignments no longer feel overwhelming!
- Analyze: Students first learn how to analyze questions and success criteria so they know what the teacher is really looking for.
- Brainstorm: Students then learn how to generate ideas, find appropriate content to support their ideas, and organize their work using mind maps.
- Chunk, check, and chuck: Ideas need to be grouped and checked against the success criteria. Many students are afraid to let go of content they've found, but ideas that are not directly related to the success criteria need to be chucked.
- Develop: Point form ideas are developed into a draft. We teach a 100% foolproof formula that students follow to make sure their ideas are thoroughly developed.
- Edit: Students learn a little-known but highly effective method to find mistakes on their own.
Over half of students in high school and about a quarter of university students cheat on assignments, mainly by plagiarizing. However, getting caught cheating can ruin your academic and professional future!
- When students understand the writing process and how to generate ideas, writing assignments no longer feel overwhelming and the temptation to plagiarize disappears.
- When students are confident in their writing abilities and know how to properly summarize and paraphrase, the need to plagiarize disappears.
- When students know how to properly quote and reference the information they find, the reason to plagiarize disappears.
Essays & Descriptive Writing
You CANNOT get high marks if you don’t master essay writing and precise, descriptive prose.
- Even if your child is struggling with writing right now, this program will quickly help them master academic writing rules and style.
- We teach easy-to-remember formulas for reports and essays that are 100% effective every time. What's best is that these formulas do not limit creativity and the reader cannot tell that a formula has been used!
Grammar & Complex Sentences Mastery
Complex sentences are the secret to great writing!
- We first make sure that students have mastered sentence structure essentials and the verb tense system. However, we don't stop there because this approach it only effective at reducing errors. It doesn't lead to great writing.
- We have organized the English complex sentence system into the 23 most commonly-used types of complex sentences. Your child has seen and heard all of them repeatedly in children's books and shows so they will all feel familiar. Now, your child will be able to assemble sentence parts like Legos to construct great writing.
Substance & Style
The biggest problem with student writing is that it is often vague and abstract.
- Students learn how to add specific details and vivid descriptions to make their writing come to life.
Exciting Course Content and Intellectual Development
Outstanding content both teaches about the world and inspires students' own writing.
- For writing assignments, students receive InfoKits with different perspectives on the topics they will write about (scientific perspectives, social science perspectives, statistics, stories, news), which they then integrate into their own writing.
Practice, Practice, Practice (with Feedback and Revisions)
Learning to write requires LOTS of writing and re-writing with a coach's ongoing help. This is the ONLY way to improve.
- Many teachers hope students will magically absorb the rules of grammar from reading. Unfortunately, this is a horribly inefficient process. Other teachers simply correct students' writing errors, which is almost as bad: the student glances at the corrections and forgets them immediately. This is like a swimming coach showing you how she swims instead of helping you improve how you swim.
- Our approach is completely different. Every class includes three writing assignments: one focused on complex sentences, one focused on developing rhetorical elements or editing, and one focused on paragraph/essay writing. Students receive detailed, descriptive feedback on all writing assignments as well as targeted follow-up exercises, AND THEN revise their work for a 2nd round of feedback, which confirms or corrects their understanding of errors. This is the difference between teaching and coaching.
Thinking & Learning Skills
Critical and creative thinking can be taught!
- This program teaches students a wide variety of powerful thinking tools including integrative and lateral thinking. We use a system developed by one of the world's leading thinking skills trainers.
Memory is not fixed - it is a skill that can be trained.
- Our program includes training developed by one of America's top memorization masters to help students radically improve their memory. The techniques are easy and fun, can be applied immediately in every class, and massively raise kids' confidence in their learning skills.
Class texts are used to develop a large academic vocabulary.
- Research shows that quizzing is the single most effective study tool. Printable training sheets and online quizzes help students learn hundreds of new words.
Start with a free evaluation of your child's writing:
The evaluation includes a 45min Zoom meeting where we talk about your child's writing issues and how to solve them. There is no obligation to buy anything.
Let's talk about helping your child write well. Get in touch for a free writing evaluation and planning session for academic success in writing.
Use the form below or call 416-822-2637.
Send me a message describing the typical issues your child faces with writing. You can include a recent writing sample with or without teacher feedback (please include the OneDrive, DropBox, or Google Drive link), or I can provide an appropriate prompt. Within 24 hours, we'll set up a telephone or Zoom call where we'll go over your child's writing in depth and talk about how to help your child get far ahead in writing.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
You are fully protected by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not happy with the program for any reason, just let us know and we'll send you a prompt and courteous refund for the entire month, even if it's after the last class of the month.